Friday, June 13, 2008

Train Noir

Train Noir (inspired by our train ride and written the next morning)

Black powerful Locomotive

clicks over steel reinforced slats,

Dames ride along with their killer kisses,

Flirtatious smiles under wide brim hats





Dicks and Shamus’s scrape for a dime,

They don’t mind running down a broad,

Maybe the dame deserved it,

Or maybe the husband is a fraud.





There’s a boxcar bum who has to roll

As soon as Albuquerque,

He’ll have to beat it soon

Or the foreman will cap his knee





A boxer with a flat crooked nose,

From his manager he tries to hide,

But he knows all to well,

He’ll soon be asked to take another dive.





The Great Bambino heads for New York,

The Yankees are going to play four

Boston is in the House that Ruth Built

And the curse still stands at the door





The train is stopping short,

Flatfeet are flooding the berth,

Seems one of the Don’s shylocks,

Might be ready to sing with mirth





Lenny over there,

He’s coming back from the war

He used to have two arms,

But he don’t no more





He lights a cigarette

And reads the Dear John from his honey,

He knew it wouldn’t last,

But did she have to take all the money?





A thousand million stories,

The Locomotive slashes through the day

Heading for Metropolis,

Where just about everyone will ultimatly pay

2 Comments:

Blogger Deborah Liss-Green said...

Mark, this is so cool. It reminds me of The Natural, which I'm now reading. It's evocative of that time period...

Sorry I missed the ride!

9:28 PM  
Blogger BJ Bagwell said...

Hi Mark,

I am so glad that you posted some of your writing from the marathon to the blog...I enjoyed reading it so very much. Reading it, I got the idea you found a great deal of writing inspiration. So did I! I will be writing from my inspirations long after summer institute 2008 is over...and I believe in my soul that is how it should be. Thanks so much for sharing in this space. BJ

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home